Tuesday, November 28, 2006

2 Steps Forward...1 Step Back

I had the most "interesting" thing happen to me last week. I took my boots in to get them fixed and then when I went to pick them up, decided that they should be shined as well. The worker had me put them on and then climb into the hot seat while they shined my boots. I was sitting there and this elderly gentleman climbs up next to me. He was talking to the guy that was shining his shoes and said - "Since when did we allow women into the men's shoe shine shop?" I glanced at him, but didn't say anything. He then said, "Next thing you know they will have women flying planes."

I looked at him and said "They already do."

What an old-school jerk! He claims he was kidding and proceeds to try and make small talk with me, but I wasn't having any of it. With these types of comments and then the Michael Richards ridiculousness it just proves (yet again) to those who aren't aware that racism is alive and well and has been for quite a while.
I like his quote from this article in the Baltimore Sun:

After all, modern bigotry usually isn't some nitwit screaming the N-word. It is jobs you don't get and loans you don't get and apartments you don't get and health care you don't get and justice you don't get - for reasons you get all too clearly, though no one ever quite speaks them. It is smiles in your face and knives in your back. And it is, yes, a sitcom - like Seinfeld - that presents New York City, of all places, as a black-free zone.

The people that we idolize (celebrities/actors/etc) are just human beings with their own upbringing and predjudices. This guy has probably been in most American families homes as the lovable Kramer. Who would have guessed that he is in fact cabable of this.
We take 2 steps forward and one step back...

4 comments:

Leah said...

I too was disgusted by Richard's comments. How sad that someone who I always thought was hilarious portrays something that is the furthest thing from funny.

Anonymous said...

I just can't help but think that if Michael Richards was truly stressed and frustrated with the way his "act" was going in his comedy routine, he just reached back and found something that had been there all along and trotted it out for the world to see.
How wonderful if everyone could be more Christ-like - "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls." What a different world this could be without having to call each other names.

teabelly said...

well said!

Anonymous said...

Women fly planes now? That's so cool! :) Just kidding - I'm not that clueless. Anyway, thanks for your post. I was glad to read the whole story after seeing your comment on my blog. I don't understand how people can be so close-minded when it comes to a different gender or race. It boggles my mind.