Thursday, August 09, 2007

Nothing is ever EASY!

Not even going to work sometimes.

On Tuesday night we were woken up by a crazy rain storm with thunder and lightning, but by Wednesday morning it was gone and the sun was coming out. I left for work and was actually going to be on time (for once) except when I got to the subway it was closed.

Strange.

So, I talked to a few people who were standing around and they said it was due to flooding...

Well, I could understand if there was water on the ground, but there wasn't, it was all dried up!

I went back home and called my work to let them know and everyone was having the same problem I was. Dereck was kind enough to drive me to the nearest open subway stop in Brooklyn which should have taken 10 minutes, but instead took 40 due to everyone else thinking the same thing.


I finally got on and had just hit the first stop in Manhattan when the conductor instructed everyone to exit the train because this was the last stop...huh? How is this the last stop when I still have to continue to go uptown?


So, I got out and proceeded to wait for the bus with all the rest of the masses. Bus after bus went by completely jam packed. No way I was getting on. So, I started to walk. It was soooo hot and humid. I kept asking myself why I didn't have Dereck drive me all the way in and why I even tried to come to work...


So, as I was walking I kept looking for cabs. None. All full.

My mind kept flashing back to the subway strike in December of 2005 when I had to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge the coldest day of the year during Finals....

I finally caught a bus when I was nearly at work. Anyway, I made it to work, extremely sweaty, tired, hot, annoyed, and 3 hours late. Oh well. Luckily on the way home the subways were working again.

Gotta love New York.

2 comments:

Jen said...

what a nightmare! I would hve just stayed home!

Amberli said...

yep, sounds like a classic new york experience!