On Wednesday, I attended this panel at FIT for my textile class on the future of eco fashion. On the panel was the fashion director at Barney's, a designer from Sweden who only uses eco-friendly (organic) fabrics, a designer from the US that is involved with post-consumer waste and only uses recycled or organic fabrics, a professor from FIT, and a trend forcaster.
It was a pretty interesting presentation, very timely and informative. The more I am learning about what it costs the environment to make textiles and clothing, the more I am realizing that I have an obligation to do something. Right now the cost of producing and manufacturing organic fabric is very high because the demand is low. I think the more consumers demand it and the more designers that are involved, the cost will definitely go down.
Now we are seeing mass market chains such as H&M and Wal-Mart that are "going green" but people aren't buying it because the prices are higher. I am really feeling strongly that I need to do my part.
For example, to make one pair of jeans, fill a ziplock bag 1/3 of the way and that is how much pesticide is used. That has got to be unhealthy. In this time of fast fashion and throw away design, there has got to be a better solution! We all know the fashion calendar isn't slowing down anytime soon.
There are so many other options to create fabric - hemp, bamboo, corn, etc.
More to come as my research expands...

4 comments:
Really interesting Kamilah. It's always good to learn about this stuff I think. It's easy to go through life not caring.
I couldn't agree more! Half the battle is being aware, we all can do better at that.
Just wanted to say hi and when I make the time, I always love reading your blog. I totally envy you for studying design...I used to say I was going to be a designer when I grew up. Fortunately I haven't grown-up yet so that dream is always there!!
I have such a cool friend.
I spent my morning chucking old clothes I haven't worn in years. I hear you.
I have decided to only buy things that are classic and quality. I am not a slave to trends.
Post a Comment