Thursday, April 17, 2008

Silkscreen



It's been a brutal week. It's interesting that I keep learning that you CAN survive on 4 hours of sleep a night but - I only have 3 and 1/2 more weeks of school!!

For my final silkscreen project I am so excited to be printing onto fabric and then making that fabric into a skirt or dress or something that I can wear! I am going to try out a few different types of fabrics (cotton/poly/jute/linen/silk) to see what I like best.

Leah so gracious gave me some great ideas and helped me find some cool prints on istock which I converted to this Springtime print. The colors will be similar to this, but not exactly. Basically, I strip it of all color, burn it onto my silkprinting screen and then deposit the color layer by layer.
That's five layers of color, folks. Kind of like this. It's hard to explain, but it's really hands on, and sooo sooo fun. I am loving this class. However, my teacher so gracious let me know that it will probably be one of the most difficult projects in the class.
Great.
But I am excited to do it, so oh well.
I have to do all the prep work this week, preparing boards and such (never knew it would be such a situation) and I start printing on Wednesday.
I also have to turn in my fifth (and final) collection for my portfolio on Monday. Then we have the remaining classes to clean up/fix past collections, find a model and someone to take fabulous pictures of everything I've made to put it into my portfolio as well.
Any takers?
So, that's why i haven't blogged so much. I have been busy. But it's exciting to be so near the end!!!!

11 comments:

Leah said...

I LOVE IT!! Can't WAIT to see the rest of it.

cathy said...

Wow Kamilah! I am so impressed and so excited that you are near the end! I know, so crazy how your body can adjust to no sleep!

wendyhcd said...

good luck with your last few weeks of school, K-Dublya! can't wait to see you guys after your semester ends (or sooner if you have time, but yo, you sound B-to-the-USY.)

stephanie said...

Darling! I can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck during the next few weeks!! Let's make SURE we get together after your semester is over. Hugh will be over a year old by the time you meet him - what happened?? How did we never meet up during all this time?!! We can't wait to see you!

Jen said...

that is so great! and it sounds fun I didn't even know they did this kind of thing. I can't wait to see the final project! Good Luck!!!

Arbon Family said...

AWESOME!!! I am so excited for you, I cannot believe you are almost done. You are so amazing, and so talented. I cannot wait to see the final project!! GOOD LUCK!

Richard, Angi and Fam said...

That is so great, good for you!!!! That looks like fun too, too bad I could never do anything like that. I am so proud!! HEHE

Shannon said...

What a cool thing to know how to do, among all the other cool things you know how to do. I am so excited for you to be done with school. When you graduate you can move back to the fashion mecca of the world, Sandy Utah.

Kijuana said...

If it doesn't work out in the fashion hub of greater SLC with Shannon, you can always live with me and the kids in AZ. We can look for a roomy one bedroom...that should suffice, right? I'm sorry, I couldn't hear your response. Just let me know ok? The offer still stands.

Likely said...

I"m excited to see how it turns out too. That is something I would love to learn how to do.

#A5 said...

kamilah, i can't wait to envy the skirt/dress you come up with in that amazing print. i'm already preparing for the obsessing that will happen once i see it.