Thursday, December 11, 2008

Call + Response

Wow.


Last night Dereck and I saw the movie/documentary, Call + Response. If you haven't heard of it, please look it up and see if it's playing in your city. If it's not playing in your city, please email the website, get your friends and neighbors to email and request that the movie stops in your city. I would daresay it's the most important film I've seen all year.


Did you know, that there are more slaves today than ever before in human history? This film takes viewers deep undercover where slavery is thriving -- from the child brothels of Cambodia to the slave brick kilns of rural India -- and reveals that in 2007, Slave Traders made more money than Google, Nike, and Starbucks combined.


Human slavery represents one of the most atrocious human rights violations in history. I was under the impression, that while racism still exists, that slavery had been abolished.

I am sorry to say that I am wrong.


Here's some info about the film:
"The Call+Response film acts as a call to action. Awareness without action has limited impact. Call+Response doesn’t just raise awareness, but goes on to inspire people to ask the question:
“What can we do to help?” Human rights activism is changing. The world’s issues cannot be solved alone by governments and non-profits. Solutions require community-based participation. We promote the concept of OPEN-SOURCE ACTIVISM whereby all individuals possess unique and valuable tools to fight slavery. We also provide a robust and exciting interactive platform for viewers to go after watching the film. There they will find ways to effectively respond, and to share their response with the community at large. We are currently in the process of developing a portfolio of both high impact field projects for viewers to fund as a community as well as important actions they can take for each aspect of human slavery: sex slavery, labor slavery, child soldiers. These are all based on expert insight and advice from those working on the front lines of the issue.

The real impact of this endeavor, then, lies in what we the standing army does after they have been mobilized. We hope to not only help them answer the question of how to help, but to also connect them with the most appropriate programs. We want them to truly make a difference. We invite them to become part of the story of change and that story involves them in exponential impact. Furthermore, because this film was funded completely through donations, Call+Response also gives 100% of its profits to fund these global field projects."

So now that I’ve heard the call, I’ve got to respond. I know, I’m just one person, but I’m determined to make a difference. Even if it’s just a few people seeing the movie because of me. It’s something.

We had so many before us that fought for our freedom. All those involved in the underground railroad, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Jr., the list goes on and on and on. In the movie it mentioned that people wistfully think, I wish I could have been a part of something so huge as the civil rights movement…but this film reminds us that we CAN! We can do something for our world on a global level. I truly believe that we are all connected and any effort we put in to better our communities or our surroundings, effects those around us. At then end of the film, we were given 33 ways we can respond in addition to finding our own personal response. Whether its through art, word of mouth, music, etc. We each have a voice!

For the next few months, I’m going to be writing about my journey as I try to do something each week as my “response”. I’m committed to action.

P.S. The movie is done very tastefully, it's not too graphic or violent. The music is wonderful in it. While the images are moving and poignant, you don't walk out of the theater with a bad taste in your mouth, you instead feel empowered to make a difference.

4 comments:

Leah said...

I'm excited to see this one. I just heard about another powerful movie to see and now I can't remember the title. I need to write these all down.

danberg said...

wow! i am definitely looking it up! i love how passionate you are about it, definitely you will have more than a few people see it because of your response :)

cathy said...

Sounds empowering. I'm sure it's playing in Dallas, I'll look it up.

wendyhcd said...

sounds really important, K. i learned about these atrocities in social work school, but i didn't know where to start to help the cause. thanks for telling me about this film. it sounds inspiring!