Thursday, July 23, 2009

Question

Have you ever been invited to a wedding (of a former co-worker that you remain friendly with) but your spouse wasn't invited?

Do you:
(a) just go without your spouse and feel awkward the whole time but just hang out with the other male co-worker who is going?
(b) talk to your friend and ask if you can bring your husband?
(c) RSVP for 2 and then force your spouse to attend with you and make him feel awkward all night?
(d) decline invitation and just send a gift?

On one hand, we are in a recession and Dereck doesn't know my co-worker. But on the other hand, this isn't just some random guy I'm dating. We are married, isn't it customary to at least invite the spouse. Plus I feel like now there isn't going to be much incentive to have any couples outings in the future...

Kind of weird, huh? What would you do?

10 comments:

Alyssa said...

probably A...... just spoke with a co-worker of mine about this who is at a wedding today where she was not able to take a guest. It is probably a money saving thing so better to not RSVP for two. If it makes you really uncomfortable go for D.

Sunny Duron said...

maybe someone else addressed the invitations and it was just a simple mistake -they didn't know that you are married??

Deidra said...

Etiquette books always say that only the person on the invitation is invited. But I think it's weird to leave out a spouse.

Chris and I are basically attached at the hip, so I would probably vote for D. Unless I knew a ton of other people who would be there and that I would be comfortable chatting with, spouse-less.

ginger said...

I vote d too.

Julia said...

I would check with the wedding couple to see if it were a mistake to invite only you, if not i vote for d too.

ROXY MARJ said...

Yup. ask the couple to see if there was a mistake made...if not - go for D... that is a total lack of social grace in my book if they intentionally only invited you...AND I would love to know the reason behind it, if that is the case :/

)en said...

E. You and Dereck both go, but dressed incognito. Then walk around being the "crazy couple" that nobody knows. Even to the bride.

)en said...

by bride i meant co-worker.. i just assumed it was the bride, for reasons unknown. This comment is unnecessary.

Becky said...

Ask her if she meant to invite your husband/if he can come. If she is weird and says no, don't go.

cathy said...

Are you sure Dereck wasn't invited? If so, don't go -- that's lame...