Monday, May 07, 2007

We don't do that here...

Apparently I am still the wussiest dentist goer ever. Dereck and I went to the dentist last week and I proceeded to cry during the cleaning. I swear that it really does hurt me. I told the hygienist that I had EXTREMELY sensitive teeth and to be gentle. Apparently she didn’t believe me. I think it’s a combination of the noise from the electric pointy thing they put in your mouth and the idea of not having control of the pointy thing while in my mouth. It all stems from the time that I went to the dentist as a child, he said to let him know if it hurt. I told him that I could feel it and that it hurt and he proceeded to drill!?! I screamed and cry and he kept on going (“Oh, it doesn’t hurt,” he said - Are you in the chair, sir?????) From that day forward, if I had to get a cavity filled, they would just knock me out.
Anyway, to make a tortuous day into a bloggable event, basically I asked if they would put me under while they filled my cavity. The response was, “We don’t do that here”…
WHAT is THAT supposed to mean??!?! Does that mean that they don’t allow grown ups with real childlike fears go to the dentist? Does that mean that just because I am a wuss that I am supposed to act like an adult and just get my cavity filled like a normal human without going under? I don’t understand. Anyway, after I cried the hygienist felt really bad and gave me a hug and said sorry a million times, she was really sweet. My dentist only looked at my mouth briefly, but she seemed really nice, and I told her that I was afraid and that she would have to be gentle, so we’ll see. Anyway, Wish me luck next week!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I blame myself!! Always had a special pediatric dentist for you Kamilah!

Deidra said...

One time I was home from college and wanted to make some [instant] pudding. It was about 8:00 pm, and I guess my mom thought it was way later than that and that I was pulling some kind of crazy college kid hours. I told her I wanted to make the pudding and she looked at me with disgust and said, "We don't do that here!" (We now frequently mock her for that.)

I think your request was equally legitimate. Good luck at the dentist! (and I hope they at least have ceiling TVs and good movies to make it easier!)

Julia said...

I'm so sorry about your dentist experience. How did the filling go? Just a little "happy gas" and you'd be fine.

Amber said...

I just had to come to your comments and say, for the record, fanny packs are awesomely scary and I can't beleive that you would even question me!!! Come on Kamilah, lets hear the outcome of the dentist, or did you make it out?