Friday, November 10, 2006

Mood Boards

I am learning in my Fashion Industry Design class then when designing a collection, you have to first figure out what season you are designing for (obviously), then choose a theme for your designs. Once you have a theme, you have to translate that theme into a mood. Hence the term "mood board". The mood board consists of pictures and fabric swatches and that go along with your color story (palette) that all help to define and invent your theme/mood. The second part of the mood board will generally consist of the sketches of the designs or even sometimes pictures of the actual garments.
I am really enjoying this part of the process because there are unlimited options! This will be the first time that I have attempted to create a cohesive full (6 outfit) collection. Normally, I choose fabrics randomly and then later think of what to make or sometimes in class we are told what to make and then we get to find the fabric, but now we can really use our imaginations to design whatever we feel like as long as it fits into the theme that we create.
The only problem is that I don't have much time to do this since I have 2 mood boards due on Monday (in addition to unpacking, spending time with my husband, shopping for fabric to go with my corset, and creating 3 flats in Illustrator, and wanting to go to the Nordstrom anniversary sale) but as Dereck keeps reminding me I am following my dream...

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

1 comment:

Darek and Amberli said...

Ok dude - I saw your comments on my blog (thanks for the sweet potato tips by the way) so I know that you're still a blogger - I like the idea of mood boards, but we gotta see more blogging from the married lady! Haha! Don't you hate it when people pester you to blog more??? I think I mostly blog so people won't pester me! haha!