Thursday, July 05, 2007

Happy Independence Day!

It was so nice having a day off work in the middle of the week to celebrate our nation’s independence, however, it didn’t feel much like July because it was kind of a dreary, rainy day here in New York.

Dereck and I mostly spent the day sleeping and eating. Which incidentally are my two favorite things. We slept in a bit, went to brunch at a Brooklyn diner, where I embarrassed Dereck by playing “What’s love got to do with it” on the jukebox when he wasn’t looking. Then went to the fish market and picked up a lobster and some scallops for dinner. Then, we came home, fell asleep, then woke up, made our delicious dinner and watched Pan’s Labrynith. We could see most of the Macy’s fireworks out of our kitchen window (albeit from afar). We had planned to watch them from the roof of our building, but it was kind of chilly, so we opted to stay in.

I was thinking back to the memories I had of fireworks in particular and I remember a certain apartment in college that we called the cereal box because that is exactly the shape of the building. 6 of lived there - it was 3 levels high with 3 rooms on each floor. We would shoot bottle rockets up (or down, depending on the mood) the spiral staircase to startle those who came to visit our home. We would also shoot them underneath a certain roommate’s door while she was making out - not to name names, of course. There was also an occasion that we put some firecrackers in a bucket to scare our neighbors and even managed to get them to swear at us. (Yes, this was BYU).

Aahhh, gotta love the 4th of July. Hope everyone had a great one!

4 comments:

Leah said...

Why you little...

Amber said...

I don't know where you came up with some of the pure crazy crap you did, how dare you???

Julia said...

so great...loved living there. You forgot the time when we shot them out of the sunroof of my car at the blue house party. The cops were nice.

Darek and Amberli said...

Oh skyview...literally the BEST memories of my college years! Such CRAZY roommates!