Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada

I hope that everyone had a great holiday weekend. It was strange, yet nice to have a day off during the week and I am so happy that it's already Friday!

On Monday night I went with 5 of my Parsons classmates to see The Devil Wears Prada. Funny movie if you haven't seen it.

As you know, the movie is based on the book written by Anna Wintour's old assistant. According to some reports, "Anna Wintour isn't taking The Devil Wears Prada movie sitting down — at least not in an ergonomically correct throne. She's warning fashionistas and actors that any involvement in the Meryl Streep movie will make them invisible in the eyes of Vogue. Unless they're fat, and in that case they should've given up hope long ago. [Radar]"

Now, that is just a rumor, but if you have seen the movie, pehaps you may have noticed that the clothes weren't ALL fabulous. They were good, just not GREAT. So, I guess her threat worked! I mean she's Anna Wintour, the diva of all fashionistas - she can do that.
(Jossip)

Here are some thoughts that we discussed after the movie:
  • Can a woman have it all?
  • Can you have a thriving career and a balanced family life?
  • Do you have to settle for mediocrity in family and career instead of excelling in one?
  • If this were a man, would there be any hype?
I am pretty sure that something has to give. You can't give ALL your time to both entitites. In that case, how do you choose without feeling guilty. If you decide to stay home and be a full-time mom, is it a waste of money and years studying? If you decide to devote yourself to your career, what happens when you get old?

It's a juggling act that I don't profess to know the answer to. As my mom said, if you just continue to make choices along the way that you are comfortable with, everything else will work out.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I also watched this movie last weekend and had the same disscusion with Ann. I wonder if there is truth to the anna wintour rumor, esp. because giselle was in a huge pictorial in this months vogue and i noticed alot of chanel in the movie, cant imagine her writing chanel off??? hmmmmmm.....

Anonymous said...

Whoa Kamilah that was deep!!! I'll have to watch the movie now.