Friday, July 14, 2006

Vanity Sizing

I saw this article this morning and decided that I wanted to blog about it because I am thinking about what type of clothing I want to design.  I have to really think about what I want my brand to say to people. 


Why is America obsessed with weight?  We are all obsessed with these anorexic celebrities, yet our population is like 60% obese.  It’s quite interesting to me.  It’s like the more obsessed we become, the fatter our nation grows.    Anyway, I just wanted to know, would you prefer to buy an item of clothing based on the size or the consistency?  [Translation: Would you rather buy a size 2 because you “can” or would you rather know that a brand remains consistent and that you will have to buy a size up or down depending on how it fits and whether your weight is up or down at the moment?] 



Powered by Qumana


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a pleasure for me in buying a smaller size - "size 2 - uh, I don't think so," but small-er is great. After saying that, I can assure you that if I have a clothing item that feels right and that I feel comfortable in -- I don't care if it's a size 99!!

Amy D. said...

Interesting read....I think i would rather buy a piece of clothing that is my actual size. I hate thinking at Banana I'm this, at Gap i'm this...blah blah. I like being about to walk in there and pick up the right size knowing it is going to fit. Well...not right now with my ever expanding waist line. Talk to me March-April-ish.

Darek and Amberli said...

I agree with Amy. Sometimes it's kind of fun to buy something that is a smaller size than I usually wear but when I consider that it is likely vanity sizing I just think I'd rather know what size I am consistently no matter where I shop. This whole anorexia obsession is so sad! What a mess America!

cathy said...

I would much rather buy clothing that is true to size and consistant with other brands. I don't have time anymore to try things on and it's so annoying to buy something and realize the size is off when I get home and then I have to go through the hassel of returning it ...
Kamilah, remember trying on jeans in NY - it was ridiculous! Some brands I was like 2 sizes smaller than in others. I got so confused and I had to take like 3 different sizes in each time I wanted to try them on!

Kijuana said...

I read that article too, sis! I recall receiving an update on Banana having a new 00 size for those who find a 1 just a bit too roomy. Are you kidding me? I haven't worn 0 since sophomore year. I would much rather have the "real" size instead of a fake small size any day. It's much more rewarding knowing that you have actually lost weight and fit into a true 4 versus being a bit over ideal and fitting (miraculously) into a 2. Lame!