Tuesday, July 11, 2006

My lovely mullet

I can finally talk about it, therefore I must blog about it. Last Wednesday, I went to get my hair trimmed (which apparently you have to define nowadays when you want less than 5 inches cut off). The woman who cut my hair is at a Brooklyn salon, has cut my hair before, and is supposed to be especially good for curly hair.

I went in and she started snipping away. Unbeknownst to me, my hair was being rapidly depleted while I sat in the chair thinking of how cute I was going to look. She finished cutting (my hair has to be cut dry) and then proceeds to add a little color to the roots for a touch up. As the color is getting washed out I am chillin' and thinking about what to eat for dinner. I go back to the salon chair and glance in the mirror as I am running my fingers through my hair. At that moment I realized that there isn't a lot there to run through...on top. I feel the back and yes there is still some length. I guess I must have looked a bit worried, so she said, let me style it for you.

So, again, I left her to her "magic" and didn't say anything as she blow dried my piece.
Not really sure the look she was going for. Perhaps a girl version of this frolet?

When she finished "styling" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Still not sure. But, I think my face said enough. She said, next time, I won't layer it so much.

I said ok, paid and left.

Now it's too late to go back. I punked out. I actually paid for someone to give me a mullet. Who am I and what have I become?

I went home and literally cut 3 inches off the back. (Of course I left the sides and top) I am still trimming as I go and waiting until it gets a bit longer to get it cut again, but now I am scared. (Kelly, Jenna, or Rachel - I need you!) There aren't that many ways I can style it now because I can't fit it in a pony tail and it's too humid to blow dry it straight because it would just curl up again. So much for growing my hair out.

You won' t be seeing pictures of me anytime soon, so please cherish the ones you have, but I will be following these tips.

Word to the wise: bring pictures next time you go to your stylist. Even if you trust him or her.

5 comments:

Amy D. said...

Kamilah, I'm dying!!! I'm so sorry for your haircut. There is seriously NOTHING worse than a bad haircut...you never want to even leave your house. Remember when my dad took me to Supercuts when I was in 2nd grade because I mentioned I liked the ice skater Dorothy Hamil and he said I would look cute with her haircut...Needless to say for about a year i looked like Jon's twin. Aughh...happens to everyone. Sorry!!

Leah said...

Oh Kami, I about died when you referred to your hair as a piece! Nothing like a femullet to make a woman feel like...white trash.

You're so extreme, I'm sure you look great.

teabelly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
teabelly said...

well o wise hair guru, i find it realtively unfair not to be able to see photos. please post.

i am really sorry about the bad doo, but my guess is you of all people can pull this off.

Anonymous said...

The stylist (?) was probably jealous of how cute you are and sabataged you!