Monday, July 23, 2007

an Explosion, Asbestos, Chocolate, and a Celebrity Sighting

So much to blog about, so little time! It was a busy week. On Wednesday, there was a steam explosion right outside my work building. Luckily I had just left for the day and was safely on the subway heading home. My co-workers, didn't fare so well...

It was about 6pm and they heard a loud rumble. We are on the 30th floor, so they looked out the windows and saw only steam. They then looked at the building across the street from us and saw people leaving. They grabbed their belongings and ran out the door, down the 30 flights of stairs and started running West (away from the blast). Nobody could tell them at this point what happened. Luckily other than sore legs, everyone in my office made it out fine.

Click here for the news story.

The next day, the subway wasn't stopping at 42nd street, my stop, so I had to take a different line and walk the rest of the way to work. The streets surrounding my office were all blocked off, tourists were crowding the area, and I was just trying to get to work. We were there for a few hours and then we were given the option to go home. Apparently, when the steam pipes were built (the one that exploded) they used asbestos and with the explosion it was all pumped into the air. Since my office is literally right there, we were probably breathing that air...nice.

So we got to work from home for the rest of the day.
I thought that work from home meant go directly to friend Sara's house, eat a delicious dessert, get a pedicure, take a stroll around the city, and THEN go home and do some work...

On Saturday morning as a continuation of Dereck's birthday celebration, I woke him up super early and took him to Max Brenner's for "the best hot chocolate he's ever had" and some more delicious treats. There is something so right about eating inordinate amounts of chocolate for breakfast!

Yesterday, Sunday, Dereck and I took a trip to St. Luke's to go see Clark Kimball. He is so cute and perfect and I am so happy for Sara and Scott. More details on him later.

After we visited the hospital, we were on Columbus between 68th and 69th and I saw Chris Rock!

He was just strolling along the street, minding his business. Totally caughte me off guard, yet it was kind of cool.
And then, last night, Dereck and I made dinner for my former roommate Wendy and her new fiance! It was sooo much fun and I am so glad they made the trek all the way to Brooklyn from the Upper East Side...:)

5 comments:

Julia said...

That is a busy week! Please send my congrats to Sara and Scott.

Amber said...

Craziness about the steam explosion! Take a oxygen tank with you to work to be safe of breathing in any toxins. You sound like you are having such a great time!

Amberli said...

so much excitement! So jealous you met little Clarky! and surprised you didn't go up and meet Chris! can't believe he was just chillin by himself!

Amberli said...

ps - how do you respond to comments i leave on your blog? i always want to do that but I don't know how.

Anonymous said...

So I just found your blog! Love it. Miss you!!
This blogging thing is new to me. I don't have one and I do not think I am ready for the commitment! But I love looking at yours!