I have.
On Thursday night Dereck and I wanted to try this famous pizzeria in Coney Island, so after work we drove there only to find out that it was closed. (Who closes at 8pm?)
BUT no drive to Coney Island would be complete without a ride on the famous Cyclone.
Sidenote: The summer I moved to New York (2005) to start school Sara and I didnt' have jobs yet and so were able to roam about the city at our leisure. We took a whirl on the cyclone but I hadn't been back since and Dereck hadn't been before. We haven't gone to an amusement park together, so I asked him if he usually screamed or raised his hands in the air or what and said he remained cool, calm, and collected....sure.
It's super old and doesn't look very intimidating, but it is SO deceiving. We bought our tickets and got in line. Soon enough we took our seats in the very back and as we started that first climb all the feelings came back and I immediately wanted to climb out or throw up. But, they don't stop the ride for scaredy cats, so I was locked in! That first rapid decline is sooo intense and that's when I heard it - Dereck actually got scared on a rollercoaster! It was so classic!
Like a lot of places, they take a picture of you at the scariest moment. All you can see is the look of pure terror in both of our eyes. (Although Dereck's eyes were closed.)
If I hadn't been gripping the bar and screaming myself I may have even laughed. The rest of the ride is just as intense and for being such a small and old roller coaster the twist and turns are ridiculous. The only problem is that it jerks you around so much that we both had headaches afterwards!
But, it was great and most importantly I finally have something on him for all the times I do ridiculous things!
Anyway, the bottom line is, go to Coney Island for the best thrill in New York.
Not to mention the crazy fashion! If only I had brought my camera, I saw some ridiculous outfits. I will have to do a post at some point about Coney Island fashion (or lack thereof.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Love that Dereck screamed...very cool, calm and collected. :)
how funny! Dave totally screams on rollercoasters he would be so mad if he knew i was telling!
the explanation is fabulous. tell him we all want to go when we come to visit, he can get some practice until then with calm, cool and collection.
so funny! i love rollercoasters! and i love that he SCREAMED! classic!
The cyclone is possibly the most not fun roller coaster that has ever existed. But for some reason, you are right Kamilah, it is thrilling.
i have never been more certain i was going to die as when i rode that thing. and then my back hurt for a day.
Kamilah, I found your blog through Adrianne's so fun to find you on the web and blogging! Just wanted to say HI and yes, my husband screams like a little girl, on rides, in scary movies when he sees rodents - its so fun to laugh at (I mean with) him and it always makes me smile! Sounds you like you are doing really well, good for you!
Post a Comment