Friday, August 03, 2007

Ignoring...Rude or a Necessity?

I have gotten pretty good at ignoring all the crazy people in New York, however sometimes I get really annoyed at their antics! It seems as though people feel that it's their business to speak to strangers. Dereck and I went to dinner with Alysha and Tom on Wednesday and she was sharing how people just loved to predict her due date when she was pregnant. Like, "Were you due last week?" I think people need to understand boundaries a little better.

Some more examples.

Me walking to the subway in the morning. Still tired.
"Good morning, ma"
Maybe I don't feel like saying good morning. Maybe I am not your mother. Not sure.
"Oh so you aren't going to speak?" "You too good?"
To myself - No I am not, I am going to mind my business. And yes maybe I am too good.
"Ok, you have a good day anyway sweetie."
Oh FIRST you get mad I won't speak NOW you call me sweetie. Figures.

Or the people in midtown who try to get the tourists to spend money...
"Do you like to laugh?"
At you perhaps, but not in a general sense. I mean what kind of question is that? (They are trying to get you to buy tickets to a comedy club.)

"No donation is EVER to small to donate to the homeless"
I donate a few pennies...
"That's all you have?"
Right...

or

When Sara was pregnant she used to get some really disgusting comments such as:
"I'll be your baby's daddy."
Excuse yourself, sir, but the baby obviously has a daddy already...

Sometimes they think that if you stand directly in front of you then you'll donate to their cause. Word to the wise, don't EVER step in front of a pregnant woman like that. Or be prepared for the backlash!

Earlier this week Sara and I went to lunch and little Clark was in the Bjorn and someone came and stood directly in front of her, yet again...
"Do you want to save a child's life?"
Um, if you don't step away from my baby, you'll want someone to save YOUR life!

That same day we saw a man approximately 60 years old wearing a shirt that said "Show me your boobs" Sick! As he walked by he said, "Hello ladies..."

Pervert.

Even on the subway there is no respite.

We have the young kids who "aren't raising money for NO basketball or baseball team, I'm just trying to make a few bucks to keep me off the street and out of trouble"
They then try and sell you m&m's and starbursts for $1.

I have seen breakdancing, magic, even comedy shows all happen in the time it takes to get from one stop to the next.

I just I have to admit, they are pretty ingenious schemes out there that are probably fairly lucrative.

I usually read on the train. It's nice to have the 20-25 minutes of semi-interrupted reading time, so when people come asking for money I don't look up, don't acknowledge, just read.

One night during finals I was coming home really late and was reading to try and stay awake and someone was asking for money and when I didn't look up he snatched the paper out of my hand so that I would pay attention.
Yeah, that's going to work buddy.

Also, I forgot to blog on my 1 year anniversary of my Nubbing. In case you forgot, read here.

Even with all of it's craziness, I do love being in New York. Feeling the energy here and living life in this city! I am lucky to be able to follow my dream!

3 comments:

Amber said...

That was one of the best reads yet! So entertaining and I could see your face as I pictured you! Love you!

Likely said...

Love the knub/nub story!

Kinda extra funny to me because my friend Shauna and I used to always joke around about old boyfriends or crushes that had new girlfriends having nubs and such. sounds weird eh?

Like this:

Shauna: "I saw Steve with his new girlfriend yesterday, I was totally bummed."

Me: "Yeah, but did you see her tail? Maybe it was stuck down her pants. And did you see her right hand? There wasn't one.. it was a nub. And I hear that she can't say her R's correctly - like 'how awe you doing?'."

Shauna: "I did see her nub actually and I also saw that she had topsy-tailed her hair. That is so 80's."

Me: Yeah, good luck Steve.

Likely said...

I forgot to mention that I loved the rest of your post as well. You are so funny Kamilah. I loved reading what you were thinking the whole time these crazies approached you.

Did you ever read the article called Pearls before Breakfast? You might find it interesting. Google that title and you will find it (written by the washington post)