Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Daily Commute

Sometimes I love riding the train. Sometimes not so much. One thing that is for sure, is there is always something interesting to report. Since Dereck doesn’t ride the train much I feel it is my wifely duty to share with him all my woes. Usually it’s something like, I didn’t get a seat today, or someone gave up their seat for me, or I ran so fast, but missed the shuttle, you know, but yesterday was a doozy. Is that how you spell it?
Well here they are.

Number 1. Monday: approximately 8:15am. Walk onto the train to a woman giving a singing sermon. Imagine part talk/part sing. Mostly about repentance/the world ending/etc. Just the kind of stuff you want to hear on the Monday morning after the time change. I found this interesting for several reasons: 1. It was a fairly crowded train, can you imagine if you were rammed up against her and she was saying (singing) these things into your ear? 2. I think she was just simply preaching on her way to work. I don’t think she was asking for money or anything, she just wanted to spread the good word. 3. I was annoyed partly because I was so tired and partly because some of her quotes and interpretations weren’t entirely true. But hey, that is some serious stamina, my train ride was 25 minutes and she was going the whole time! Preach on with your bad self!

Number 2. This is sad. There was a gentleman with a suitcase (pretty sure he was homeless) He was wearing sweats that were wet and a jacket. He kept spraying the wet parts of his sweatpants with air freshener that you would spray in your bathroom at home. Then he went into his speech.
“I am a Vietnam Vet. I am homeless. I have a kidney bag. When I was sleeping on the train I was robbed, after I gave them everything I had they still stabbed me in my throat. I am hungry, I am wet I am embarrassed. Can you please help me out?”
It was seriously so sad. But the problem is that he smelled so poorly. (even with a whole can of air freshner on him) And there was a huge puddle where he had been standing (I think his bag may have leaked). Oh man.
I kept thinking to myself of all the times that I have put whatever bag I am carrying on the floor of the subway and what other types of grime and germs I must carry around with me on a daily basis. I just wonder if he has someplace where he could go. I mean, he must have had some sort of medical care to get the bag.
These are the times where I am so grateful for my blessings. Life could be so much worse.

Number 3. There were two guys (Guy #1, #2) sitting down (they weren’t friends) and there was a woman standing with her daughter. Guy #1 says, “Do you want to sit down?” to the woman. Woman says “Can I have this seat for my daughter, I don’t want her to spill her drink?” The daughter sits down. Guy # 2 says, “Maam do you want my seat so you can sit next to your daughter?” Woman: “No, thank you I am fine.” Guy #2 – I just want you to know that chivalry is not dead. Woman: “No it’s not! Thank you for offering.” Guy #2 “Some people think it’s dead, but it’s NOT!” Guy #1: Agrees
(just in case anyone is still reading, chivalry is not dead)
It was a funny exchange, but maybe you had to be there.

All in a days work.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Not sure how you did it, but I am laughing and dry-heaving and wishing I could be in NYC but not so much but yes... I love living vicariously through you. I think anything that happens around you is much more entertaining when you tell it!

Leah said...

#2 real, real sad.

#3 freaking hilarious.

#1 was it my grandma?

Richard, Angi and Fam said...

That is so funny and sad! You ahve the craziest experiences on the subway and just in New York. Remember the guy that pulled your hair?? I will never forget that you say the funniest things!!! Can't wait until our date on Sunday!!!!!

beckus1234 said...

I do nothing but pray for your safety day and night. Plus, count for the days that I can be there for the excitement, too!!!