Thursday, May 22, 2008

Recap

I think I am almost recovered.

I am in kind of a weird mood/state. It’s a relief to be done with school, but being in school was my “thing” for the past 3 years. Most of you know I moved to New York in August of 2005 from DC to start school at Parsons. It seems soooo long ago. When I first moved to new york, I had one day to look for an apartment. I took the bus from DC to NY in the morning and left that evening. I looked at about 6 apartments within my budget and cried on the way back. What in the world am I doing? I loved my life in DC. But, I know when you get comfortable, it’s time to push yourself. So on I went.

I settled for a loft studio in Brooklyn, with this eccentric photographer named Lemuel. He was really chill and since I was never home, we got along great. THEN he broke up with his girlfriend and the madness began. A different woman was sleeping in my apartment each night. I often times went to sleep with my headphones on….
But, it led me to this awesome Brooklyn ward and to meeting the allen’s. They had this great apartment not too far away, so I went to look at it. Clean(!), newly renovated, and in the budget (kinda). Unheard of! So, as soon as I could I moved there with the expectation that Dereck would join me as soon as possible. Relief. All the while, I was doing temp work at places like American Express, Food & Wine Magazine (so fun) and trying to get through my first semester of design school. NO-body and NO-thing prepared me for what I had gotten myself into. While it was amazing to allowed to be creative at school, it was foreign. It was intense beyond belief. It was competitive and exciting and pushed my limits. But, I made friends, struggled through that first semester. Survived a move, a transit strike (had to walk across the Brooklyn bridge to get to school during finals with my friend Regine with all of our projects, her sewing machine, and in the FREEZING cold weather [0 degrees]), started a new job (FMV where I still work), many sleepless nights, broke up with Dereck, and somehow maintained my sanity enough to learn something about patternmaking, draping, and sewing!

My second semester I had to move out of my apartment and Dereck moved into it. I moved to the upper east side where I lived with my dear friend Wendy. The second semester I realized just how hard I was going to have to work on my drawing and I took construction 2 (4 credits, 6 hours long) and spent many, many hours on the 7th floor working on my creations. That summer I worked on my most favorite creation (my wedding dress), went to counseling with Dereck and tried to enjoy a little bit of New York over the summer.

By the start of my third semester (2nd year) I was planning a (small) wedding learning photoshop and illustrator and somehow managed to get married, move back to the original apartment and move again to our current apartment, and maintain B’s….whew, I’m exhausted thinking about that semester.

The next semester was a blur, but I just happened to also be enjoying wedded bliss. Thank goodness for a husband who was supportive and easily entertained and who worked a lot, because I was not home much and when I was home, I was doing homework…pretty much the next 3 semesters should say this. We scrimped and paid a huge chunk of my tuition as I went so the amount of my loans is miniscule compared to what it could be when you attend a school that charges $15K per semester for full-time students...How time flies!

And now it’s all over. In some ways I missed out on a lot. Weekend trips, relief society enrichment nights, building a savings account, tv shows, etc. But somehow managed to squeeze some fun around the city, go to Phoenix (once driving, 2x flying), California (2x for work), Dallas and Colorado and Boston & DC (several times). Maintain friendships (barely) and keep a full-time job! (not sure if I should be excited about that or not). I think every semester during Finals I would have the same thoughts "what am I doing this for?" But every semester that I would finish I was so glad to be done.

I have had so many amazing opportunities along the way and had some really great teachers and some not so great. For such a prestigious school, it was run pretty poorly. The administrative procedures to add/drop/change classes was a serious joke. However, I feel like my knowledge of clothing construction has greatly increased, but more importantly my knowledge of the industry and where I want to be within the industry. I have classmates that are succeeding in the industry. I know where the end goal is, but am having a hard time deciding what my first step should be. And I feel like I need a small reprive. So, for now I will continue to take it easy (just work my full-time job) and research and figure out my next move. Excuse me, our next move. My dear husband is always at my side. Supporting me. I feel so blessed. I know that there were people put into place each step of the way just as I needed them. I couldn’t have done it without the support of my family who I still rely on talking to one of them nearly everyday and Sara who we’ve been on more adventures than I can count. What would I do without these people? And my dear friends who don't live nearby that I can always count on to vent to, solicit advice from, and send encouragement when I didn’t think I could make it one more day.

Wow, I didn’t mean to make this post so long, but I get carried away sometimes when I’m passionate about something. All in all a great journey. One that I will never forget. Now, on to the next chapter!

9 comments:

chartie said...

Congrats! You are certainly an inspiration. Best of luck on your future endeavors. I am sure your future will be filled with opportunities.

beckus1234 said...

Precious, darling Kamilah - you are such an inspiration to so many of those who love you. Because of you, I've walked the streets of Manhattan, traveled on the famous subway, sat on a bench in Central Park, had one of my most amazing adventures yet (thank you New York Transit Strike), looked out your apartment window at the Statue of Liberty, got an amazing son-in-law - the list is endless. You were named for my amazing Grandmother and have brought honor to her memory. I thank my Heavenly Father every day for you. XXOO

Leah said...

I LOVE YOU KAMILAH! You have always been amazing to me no matter what you are doing. You've been able to hang in there despite enormous odds, and succeed to boot.

Congratulations. To you AND Dereck. Now get some rest.

wendyhcd said...

i'm exhausted just reading about what you've accomplished in the past few years. you rock my world. so glad you (and Dereck) are in my life.

p.s. thanks for the shout-out.

)en said...

Kamilah, high five. That was awesome. What a crazy journey. you should be so proud. And I'm a big sap because i may or may not have gotten something in my eye when i read it. And also possibly when I read that comment from beckus--your mom? geez.

hugs to you,

jenmo

kimcolton said...

Congratulations!!! Are you really done already... it flew by for me :). Now you can come to Male and teach me everything you know. Okay, seriously come here. I love you!!!

Jen said...

You are AMAZING! Seriously you have been through so much and have done so much! For yourself and others you are an amazing friend andd I am so happy for you! Congrats on graduation and I know you will succeed in anything you chose to do! By the way this recap was really fun to read!

Heather said...

Hey woman, Congrats on finishing school! -AGAIN :) You are amazing! I wish the best for you in your new journey as a grad! Hopefully one day Barry and I can make it out there and see ya. It has been to long!
Once again, CONGRATS!
love ya

Megan said...

You are amazing and your strength has always lifted me to do better. Thank you for sharing, for forgiving my terrible communication skills and most of all for being YOU! Congratulations and congratulations some more. Hugs, Megan