Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Be careful you bike riders!

I forgot to document the horrific scene Dereck and I came upon on our way home from church on Sunday.

We were driving along in Brooklyn and as we were coming to a stop at the stop light, we saw a guy (probably 30's-40's) lying on the ground with his bike near his crumpled legs, and one shoe further out into the middle of the road. It was horrible. He was clearly convulsing and I saw blooding trickling either out of his mouth or out of his head. I immediately unbuckled my seatbelt and was about to jolt out there when I realized that I had nothing to offer this man. There was someone who was already calling 911 and a few more standing near by anxious to help.
I thought, why would I jump out, I have no skills! I learned CPR on a mannequin, but it's been so long I don't even know the current regulations. What could I possibly do besides get in the way. So instead of crowding around him and causing more of a traffic delay and distraction by blocking the street we realized that there were plenty of people there to help him and continued on.
Of course I started crying, but why?
I don't know this man.
I will probably never know if he is ok or not.
I know that thousands of people get in accidents all the time, but it was just a bad scene to stumble upon and my heart went out to him.
It was a beautiful Fall day and I am sure he just left his house not planning to get hit by a car and spend the rest of the day in the hospital.
Life is so precious. It seems that several people have expressed this lately, but when we are so busy running from work to school to internship to home to wherever we need to remember to at least enjoy the moments!
Remember why it is you are doing what you are doing and be grateful that we are able to do these things. I am sorry that it took this to take that moment to Remember.
Sir, where ever you are - I hope you are OK!

No comments: