It was a beautiful exhibit. In this day and age of "fast fashion" it was so cool to see handmade fabrics, intricate dresses, and beautifully draped fabrics.
How did the women fit into these clothes??? The waists were teeny and even some of the early 1900's shoes and gloves were sooo small!
Another observation is the fact that women nowadays wouldn't wear most of the stuff. I wouldn't! How could you? Some of it because it's too ornate, too fancy and I wouldn't want to ruin it and secondly our lives are so different now. We are so busy and to carry around all of this fabric would be so crazy! Below is a "day dress". 

yeah right! Not in my day. I probably couldn't even make it down the elevator and to the subway in that thing. I would want to, it's gorgeous, but would be sweaty and tired from all that heavy fabric (tripping factors aside.)
Then we have this dress by "Coco" Chanel. Amazing! I would totally wear that! She was always so fashion forward and so into luxury that is comfortable.Everyone should know this.
This Hermes Kelly Bag really set off the whole handbag movement in 2000. Notice how most luxury design firms now have waiting lists for their top handbags and accessories are so "in" right now.
Anyway, I could go on and on but if you are in New York, go see this exhibit. If you aren't check out the website, it has some really great pieces.
No comments:
Post a Comment