Here is the grand list of all the cliches that we sent back and forth to one another. Feel free to add your own and laugh (outloud) at some of them.
To know me is to love me
On top of the world
Bloom where you are planted
Life's a bowl of cherries
If worst comes to worst
Two peas in a pod
Toss your cookies
Old as dirt
Over the hill
To see eye to eye
Sounds like a plan
That's the ticket
it takes one to know one
Cool as a fan
Waste not, want not (you may enjoy that one)
Robbed blind
He's not wrapped too tight
Less is more
you're full of crap
life's a bitch
you're nuts
one bad apple spoils the bunch
too many Chiefs and not enough Indians
that pushes my buttons
sweet as pie
the heart wants what the heart wants
we go together like peas and carrotts
cute as a button pee like a race horse
sick as a dog
raining cats and dogs
love is blind
glass is always half empty
eye of the the tiger
keep your nose to the grindstone
happy as a clam
Fell of the wagon
No skin off my back
cool as a cucumber
kill two birds with one stone
there are more than 2 ways to skin a cat
Cold as ice
"tuff as nails"
"don't let the bed bugs bite"
"stick a fork in it"
"burning the midnight oil"
"acorn doesn't fall far from the tree"
"that's the way the cookie crumbles"
"we'll cross that bridge when we come to it"
"Fit as a fiddle"
"a strange duck"
"love pulls at the heart strings"
"burning the candle at both ends"
"rock hard abs"--not really one, but kinda
"Have your cake and eat it too"
"Smart as a whip"
"Rub salt in my wound"
"Cute as a button"
"off his rocker"
"he's light on his toes"
"Cat got your tongue"
"Quick as a whip"
"not for the faint of heart"
"Fly by the seat of your pants"
"Play it by ear"
"Eyeball the situation"
7 comments:
In my highschool writing class my teacher hated cliches. I never realized how many we do use in writing or daily conversation till he started pointing them out in my paper. Yikes!
you 4...sara, kami and sisters...have way to much time on your hands. Love it!!! Blog on (Mary d quote)
I was thinking the same thing Amy! I can't believe you typed all those out! but it was fun reading them.
By the way Dave hates when I say we'll play it by ear!!! I always say it for some reason.
I must clarify. This was an ongoing event - back and forth - for a few weeks. I just compiled the list, didn't type them all out.
I am so amused by cliches. The best one that really wasn't one was when my former co-worker said, "when worst comes to serve" instead of "when worst comes to worst." For some reason, I was dying about that forever. That may have been three or four years ago and I still talk about it like it was yesterday...
They are so intriguing. Can you imagine if you came from another country, had to learn English and learn all these silly cliches!
Post a Comment