Thursday, December 20, 2007

12 Days of Christmas

Since Dereck and I still consider ourselves newlyweds, we are still forming our family traditions. One of our newest and I think best so far is to do the 12 days of Christmas each year. Since this year was the first official, we both are having so much fun with it. It really helps to bring out the spirit of giving days before the actual day of Christmas. Some of the gifts cost no money – and can be as simple as a note or a cupcake, but all the gifts come from a spirit of kindness and love. It’s brought a special feeling into our home. I mean, it’s kind of hard to be mad at someone if they are giving you a gift everyday! I’m not going to lie, it’s been hard keeping up with the days sometimes, being so busy, but on the reverse end it brings a bit of excitement at the end of a long day.
Today is Day number 7 and I am sad that we are on the downward slope. Maybe next year we’ll do the 30 days of Christmas…haha
Some of the favorites that I’ve gotten so far is: a tennis racket, a coupon for a Christmas wish of my choice, and something for the lips and the hips (Mac lip glass and delicious chocolates). So funny!

7 comments:

Deidra said...

We started an advent calendar (of sorts) this year. It included doing different holiday related things and little presents for each other. That way we get 24 days of excitement.

Now I'm out of ideas for little things for his stocking!

alysha said...

what a great tradition to start. My mom used to leave little wrapped gifts outside our door every morning, and even though they were small, we couldn't wait to get up. Now that I think about it, maybe it was a bribe. Nonetheless, your kids will love it!

Jen said...

that is such a cute idea! I might have to steal that one!

Richard, Angi and Fam said...

That is such a good idea!! Pete did that to me one year but I have never done that. That is a cute tradition to start! I loved that something for the lips and hips that is so funny! Good thinking Dereck, I am impressed!

cathy said...

such a cute tradition! Next time we talk, which should be tomorrow, remind me to tell you about another type of 12 days of Christmas....

Amberli said...

i love that you guys did this. this was a tradition in my family growing up that i haven't done yet as an adult, maybe next year.

Leah said...

Love it. Lips and hips...very creative Dereck.