Friday, June 30, 2006

Ways to Quit a Job

This week I had the opportunity to witness a coworker of mine quit his job via an email.  Although, with technology these days, do you think it's appropriate?  I think it's still customary to speak to the person face to face, but hey to each his own.  This person, whom shall remain nameless, sent an email to my boss on Friday on his way to the airport for a vacation to Europe for 2 weeks.  This person has been with the company for 12 years! Anyway, I just thought it was quite interesting and somewhat humorous.  It got me thinking about the ways people quit a job.


My personal favorite is when I was working in Provo at a crazy telemarketing firm and I had Cathy call in and quit for me.  [I had only worked there for a few days and it was really awful, so give me a break.]  When they asked her (pretending to be me) the reason for the resignation, she said, "Um, I just don't want to work there anymore."  Meanwhile I am in the background dying of laughter. 


My second favorite is when I was telling the story about my co-worker to a friend, she said that she quit via fax once.  Apparently there were "extenuating circumstances", but I still think that's a pretty funny way to quit a job.


My third and final story is when I was in middle school, I got a job as a "sweeper" at a nearby elementary school.  For those of you who don't know what that is, it's basically a jr. janitor.  I had to vacuum the classrooms and clean the bathrooms.  It was torture, but it was the only job that I could do that was right near the school and would pay me minimum wage and only a few hours after school each day.  Well, one day I used the wrong cleaning agent on the toilets and I stained them brown!  So, I got real nervous and just never went back!



Powered by Qumana


4 comments:

Jen said...

That is hilarious you stained the toilets brown! I wish I had a funny story about me quiting, but I don't. How are you? By the way I haven't talked to you in awhile. Have a happy 4th!

Anonymous said...

In an aside to the "brown toilets", I do recall there were tears shed. I am positive that a different chemical was used to combat the one you used and that the students of Crescent Elementary have no lingering negative toilet issues. You were a good worker, albeit a little hasty!
I also remember times when you and your sister would call each other's employers, not to quit, but to explain an absence!

Kijuana said...

Ok, so I'm dying. I too, was a sweeper and I remember that I was the slowest worker there. I had to drag that huge vacuum to all the portable classrooms. The worst! Do you remember when I called in for you at Bally's? Dude was sooo mad! But when you need to buy those Girbaud jeans you really have to get a little creative. :)

cathy said...

So funny! I remember I did not want to talk to your work, but they kept calling for you and you threw the phone at me and begged me to talk to them! They must have thought you were crazy - I told them I just didn't like it there so I was going to stop coming...