Friday, September 07, 2007

School News

I survived my first week of school!

I have classes Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings from 6-9.

Tuesday: Tailoring – My teacher is really old school, but he knows his stuff. We are going to be making a tailored jacket, which I will make for Dereck, so he is excited that I am actually making something for him for once. This work for this class is going to be really tedious and my teacher expects near perfection, so I am going to be spending a lot of time on this jacket, which is great!

Wednesday: Textiles – This should be a great class. We’re going to be learning about all the different types of textiles available and some on the history of fabrics.

Thursday: Fashion Industry Design: Marketing –I don’t think this will be my favorite, but my teacher is smart, and has been a top executive in the industry for years, so I think she’ll be able to teach us quite a bit. Marketing is such a necessity, I need to have a better attitude about it. Sometimes I wish that you could just create and then get paid for it…so not reality. I learned last semester when putting together my business plan that in fact this is a business and therefore, I have to treat it as such.

And on to other news, I got an internship! I will start next Tuesday and I am really excited about it! It’s with designer, Mara Hoffman. I think this will be a really great opportunity because it’s a small office, so I will be able to get tons of hands-on experience (instead of getting coffee for the head designers). She creates her own textiles and most of her production is done in New York, so I will get to go to the production factories and see how textiles are made and also be a part of the day to day operations. I will now be working 4 days a week instead of 5 and interning every Tuesday from 10-5. I am really excited for this opportunity!

So, the fun of a new semester begins!!

6 comments:

Leah said...

So excited for you frient! So jealous of your internship.

alysha said...

JEALOUS!!

you know I wish I was in fashion design school. In another life maybe. But what a great internship. Mara Hoffman is awesome!

Amber said...

That is so neat! Congrats, you worked hard for it. What a memorable time in your life, busy but so valuable.

Amberli said...

Congratulations on the internship! That is so great. Why didn't I go into design? How did I end up in this social work business? I guess you'll have to have enough adventures for all of us!

Sara said...

great, so when can we hang out?

Likely said...

You are like the real live Project Runway.

We can all live vicariously.

You look so hot in all yellow. With yellow bow.