Friday, December 14, 2007

Is this a sweatshop?

I took these photos on the sly, while pretending to look at something on my iphone. I get to go to these factories most weeks at my internship and it's hard to describe what they are like to someone who has never seen them. I doubt that they would like to have it posted on my blog, but oh well. They all look pretty much the same and I didn't get any faces or completed garments, so it's pretty incognito.

Everytime I go there or any of the other factories I am fascinated. The amount of stuff (fabric, thread, etc.) lying around is insane and the fact that they know where things are are is pretty crazy!
This particular one is located on one of the top floors in the garment district in a fairly non-descript building. Run by Asians (most in this area are), but there are a lot of Spanish speaking workers in some. It's a very interesting world, I must say.


Here are my soapbox remarks.
Honestly, the most important issue to me is humans being treated fairly. It's disgusting that in some of the shops around the world, workers are being paid a few cents a day and we are in turn buying that garment for hundreds of dollars. One of my teachers told us how a huge problem is outsourcing done by the factories. Everything looks kosher, but women will come and pick up a load of items to sell and she and her children are all sewing it at home...

This issue is more important than going green (which is very important), more important than being ahead of trends, so many other things. If people are being treated inhumanely then all is lost. There is so much corruption in this industry and with American consumers trying to get the best clothing at the lowest prices, I have a feeling it's only going to get worse! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a good bargain, but at what price? I feel passionate that when I start my line that I will try and visit every factory. If that means that my garments will cost a bit more or I make a lower profit, so be it! But, I honestly don't know. It's sooo easier said that done, but it's something I want to strive for.

I hope that my impact on the world is positive over all, not contributing to the negativity.

3 comments:

Likely said...

I took a sewing class through a community college with a friend and we would always play "sweat shop". we would throw the fabric over our shoulders and pretend we were pushing it through the machine really fast and yell at each other to go faster.

and also our teacher wore homemade reversible vests. from fleece.

Likely said...

in all seriousness though, this IS a big problem. sad.

KamilahNYC said...

why do you make me laugh so much. I can picture you doing that - faster, faster....