Monday, February 02, 2009

2009 Inaguration Day

I was there! Me and (2 million others) were there for the swearing in of the 44th President of the United States of America, Mr. Barack H. Obama. And what a day it was!

It started off by waking up at 5:45am and walking down North Capitol Street until we got to the capitol. It probably only took us about 20 minutes. The best purchase of the day was some hand warmers from the street vendor. Our group consisted of me (not pictured), Kareem, Mariama, and Loide. There was all sorts of conflicting signs and people waiting in lines and not much direction for the ticket holders v. non-ticket holders, but we continued to make our way.

There was law enforcement from all over the country - on foot, in cars, on horseback. It's so cool to think that not ONE person was arrested! Even with the confusion, people were considerate and kind to one another.
Loide had mapped our route out the night before, but at one point we were blocked. You can see here that everyway we looked was filled with people.
This photo was Loide standing on a low wall, but we ended up leaving that area and making our way back through the maze and going through a different entrance. Unfortunately that wasn't our best move because we went through the security line for the parade route...so NOT where we wanted to be.

So after about 2 hours of waiting and walking and being told conflicting things, going through a security check and waiting nearly an hour to cross over Pennsylvania Avenue, we made it to our spot here. At this point we were SO cold. I really thought that I may have frostbite on my toes. I seriously weighed the options in my head...do I risk it or go back....I evidently don't think so highly of my toes, because I stayed.

Standing amongst the crowd was really great. People were friendly and chatty and it seemed that everyone had a story, a reason, a purpose for being here at this moment. (This was the view to my right)
This was our view up ahead.Here's Loide and I trying to stay warm. They replayed the concert from Sunday evening, so we had a little bit of entertainment - at least some music to dance to, to try and keep us from getting too stiffly frozen.

This is the view behind me.

Here is a video of when they announced ex-President Bush...Just a note, I personally think it was pretty offensive to boo a president and I don't even like Bush. I couldn't help but thinking - can he hear this? I couldn't allow myself to sing along outloud at the end either...


And here is a short video on when they announced Barack...Oh what a moment! It was a feeling from deep inside - a feeling of hope and happiness and the joy in people's movements and cheers.
It moved me to tears. (surprise, surprise).

During the swearing-in portion, the sun seemed to shine a little brighter, the mood turned more reflective amongst the crowd, and the patriotism in my heart was the strongest I've ever felt. It was a moment in history that I'll never forget. Walking back to Kimberly's took about 3 hours. We were trafficked all the way to 20th Street to cross back over Pennsylvania and then up. This is the view on 20th of all the people walking home. Loide and I had pledged not to eat or drink ANYTHING for fear of having to use the port-a-potty, so by this time we were starving and had started complaining, but there were two nice people in the crowd who gave each of us a granola bar! Another testimony to the mood of the day. The peace felt among the huge sea of people.

We stopped at the bank to re-charge and get warm. We got home around 5:30PM after grabbing some dinner! It was such a beautiful, exhausting day!
I really love the images found here also.
Amazing.
I can't seem to get enough of looking at pictures of this day and of our lovely first family!
I feel overwhelmed and happy and proud whenever I think of the images swirling in my head of Barack and Michelle dancing at the balls and waving in the parade and the girls giving their dad a hug or a thumbs up sign or the family standing outside the whitehouse.
I always thought this was possible in my lifetime, however, I didn't realize how good it would feel when it happened. This means so much more to me personally and to my family and also my prospective family than I could ever express. My heart is so full, it may explode!
God Bless America!

3 comments:

wendyhcd said...

so glad (and jealous) that you were at the inauguration! loved your pics and thoughts. what an exciting time we live in!!!

Amberli said...

oh it's so great that you got to go. what an incredible experience! i've never been more proud to be an american!

Jenn Kamp said...

Kamilah~
I'm so excited that you were able to attend! I wish I could have seen that. Go Obama.
Love~
Jenn Kamp