Tuesday, May 23, 2006

My Day with Tracy Reese

April 28, 2006, NY Central Park

I signed up for a mentoring walk that was put on by the Oxygen network. It was basically a day for women in all different industries to mentor the next generation.
Ok, let me back up. I received an email from Parsons informing me of this mentoring event, so I went to the website, signed up and waited. (http://www.oxygen.com/Specials/MentorsWalk/) Not really knowing what I had gotten myself into, I wasn’t really concerned about it one way or the other. A few weeks later I received an email saying that I have been accepted but that I would have to get there at 6:30am on Friday the 28th of April. They also did not tell me who my “mentor” would be. Me not being a morning person, did NOT like the idea of waking up at the crack of dawn and not even knowing who I would be meeting with, but I was intrigued. That week at school, I found out that a few others from Parsons would be there as well. Namely my good friend Regine who just found out that she had been chosen also. We joked about how cool it would be if Tracy Reese was there…

So, the morning comes, and I am a few minutes late (saved by a cab) and I go and check in. We are given a group number and a folder that has the name/bio of our mentor. I casually open my folder to reveal none other than the one and only TRACY REESE!!!!! I couldn’t believe my luck. Is this a joke? Nope, I truly get to spend a day with my girl Tracy. So, the other participants and I stood around excitedly as we watched the cars pull in to the event.

(Me w/ other mentees)
It was like having front row access to the red carpet.
(A picture of all the mentors)
There were so many top people from all industries: Diane von Furstenberg, Geraldine Laybourne (Oxygen network), Atoosa Rubenstein (Seventeen mag), Marcia Gay-Harden (actress), Yeohlee Teng (designer), Kathryn Erbe (Law & Order, Criminal Intent) and Tracy. This is not to even mention, top CEO’s, bankers, etc.
Anyway, there were 6 people in our group and not only did we get Tracy, but Yeohlee too! So, we met them and got to walk through Central Park and ask any questions that we wanted to these amazing mentors. For those of you who don’t know anything about Tracy – please see: (http://tracyreese.com/) and Yeohlee please see: (http://www.yeohlee.com/)

After we walked for about 45 minutes, we got to go the Boathouse Restaurant in the Park and have a fabulous catered lunch. Diane, Geraldine, and Marcia spoke to us and we got to socialize with our two mentors. (I even gave Tracy my bacon...haha)

I was on a high for a long time. These were two amazing women who have done so much in the fashion industry and are willing to give back to those first starting. It was truly the opportunity of a lifetime that I will never forget.

Me with Tracy


Me with Yeohlee

8 comments:

Amy said...

hi kamilah, remember me? Amy? well I have to comment because I am obseesed with Tracy reese, love, love love her clothes. When I worked at nordstrom in savvy we sold her plenty line, (not as cute as her other line, but still very cute) I am very excited for you... that is awsome! love the blog!

Leah said...

You, Tracy and Pepper are BFFs now.

KamilahNYC said...

Amy, how are you? I am so glad that I have a friend in obsessing over Tracy. What is your blog address??

Amy said...

my blog address is http://amyfurstenau.blogspot.com

Jen said...

look at you so professional......

Anonymous said...

Wow you continue to amaze me. Tracy Reese!!! how exciting I am sooo jealous(in a healthy way)what great doors of opportunity you continuously knock on. Keep on knocking!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow you continue to amaze me. Tracy Reese!!! how exciting I am sooo jealous(in a healthy way)what great doors of opportunity you continuously knock on. Keep on knocking!!!

Amy D. said...

Ok, wish I knew who Tracy Reese was...but I'm sorry. I don't. I am so not cool anymore and not a "hip mom" like Annie. Peace